Breaking 13:30 Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested amid renewed scrutiny over Epstein-linked allegations 13:24 Morocco positions artificial intelligence as soft power and growth driver 13:20 Ukrainian drones spark fire at Russian oil depot after Geneva talks stall 13:00 France and India must shape AI rules together, says Emmanuel Macron 12:50 Renault posts €10 billion loss amid solid underlying performance 12:30 Casablanca: judicial inquiry launched after suicide attempt at BNPJ headquarters 12:20 Morocco takes part in global artificial intelligence summit in New Delhi 12:20 Olympic gold boosts Jutta Leerdam’s marketing power 12:00 France welcomes 102 million international visitors in 2025, government says 11:40 Nezha Hayat: The architect of Morocco's investment future 10:50 Poland urges citizens to leave Iran as conflict fears rise 10:20 Anne Claire Legendre appointed president of the Arab World Institute 09:50 Arab region struggles to unlock women’s financial potential 09:20 Study finds fire weather days nearly tripled worldwide in 45 years 08:50 White House urges Iran nuclear deal as US military builds up 08:20 Kremlin says sanctions block $12 trillion US deal 07:50 Spain confirms Gaudí designed remote Catalonia mountain refuge 07:40 Jannat Mahid releases a spiritual song for Ramadan 2026 07:20 Personalized mRNA vaccine keeps most breast cancer patients in remission 07:00 Atlassian founders lose $7.2 billion in AI driven tech selloff 18:50 Fire near Tehran military sites raises security concerns in Iran 18:20 Family of ‘No Other Land’ director attacked despite court order 18:10 US energy secretary urges IEA to drop climate focus at Paris meeting 17:50 Taliban penal code legalizes domestic violence in Afghanistan 17:20 Arthur Hayes warns AI job losses could trigger $500 billion banking crisis 16:50 Australian police recover ancient Egyptian artifacts after museum break in 16:20 EU moves to sanction Georgian oil terminal in Russia package 15:50 Mistral CEO says over half of enterprise software will shift to AI 15:20 Hungary orders first Russian oil shipments via Croatia 14:50 Russian oil companies face bankruptcies as sanctions slash prices 14:30 Krakow launches contraceptive pilot program to control pigeon population 14:20 UK chairs first UN talks with Israeli and Palestinian officials since October 7 14:13 Love Brand | Coca-Cola dominates the beverages category in 2025 14:00 Chefchaouen: A medical caravan deployed to support populations affected by bad weather 13:50 Climate change adds 47 harmful heat days to coffee regions

YouTube Blocks Hong Kong's Protest Anthem Following Court Order

Wednesday 15 May 2024 - 16:50
YouTube Blocks Hong Kong's Protest Anthem Following Court Order

YouTube's compliance with a recent court order to block access to the popular protest song "Glory to Hong Kong" has ignited concerns regarding freedom of expression in the semi-autonomous Chinese city.

Confirming the action on Wednesday, YouTube disclosed that 32 web links featuring the anthem had been geoblocked in Hong Kong following the court's decision. Attempts to access the videos, which included instrumental and sign language versions of the song, from within Hong Kong now yield messages stating that the content is unavailable due to a court order.

"We are disappointed by the Court's decision but are complying with its removal order by blocking access to the listed videos for viewers in Hong Kong. We'll continue to consider our options for an appeal, to promote access to information," stated a YouTube spokesperson in response to CNN's inquiries.

Google, YouTube's parent company, had previously indicated that it was "reviewing the court's judgment."

"Glory to Hong Kong," composed by a musician under a pseudonym in August 2019, swiftly became the unofficial anthem of the pro-democracy protests. However, authorities have viewed the song's lyrics, particularly the phrase "liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our times," as carrying separatist undertones, leading to its outlawing in 2020.

The Hong Kong government and courts argue that the phrase connotes secessionist and subversive elements, justifying the injunction against the song's distribution.

CNN reached out to Meta, which owns Facebook, WhatsApp, and Instagram, as well as Spotify, seeking their perspectives on the matter. The Asia Internet Coalition, which includes Spotify and Meta, stated it is evaluating the decision's implications and its impact on businesses.

"We believe that a free and open internet is fundamental to the city's ambitions to become an international technology and innovation hub," said Jeff Paine, managing director of the group.

"Glory to Hong Kong" has previously been mistakenly played at international sporting events involving Hong Kong teams, sparking criticism from pro-Beijing figures who largely blamed Google's algorithm.

Last June, Hong Kong's Department of Justice sought an injunction against the song's broadcasting or distribution, a move initially rejected but later overturned following an appeal.

Once regarded as a bastion of free speech and creative expression within authoritarian China, Hong Kong's landscape has shifted dramatically following a crackdown on dissent and the imposition of a national security law by Beijing in 2020. This year, a second local security bill, known as Article 23, was passed, targeting seditious acts, espionage, and foreign interference.

The silencing of "Glory to Hong Kong" amid ongoing debates over security and freedom of expression underscores the complex challenges faced by the city's residents.


  • Fajr
  • Sunrise
  • Dhuhr
  • Asr
  • Maghrib
  • Isha

Read more

This website, walaw.press, uses cookies to provide you with a good browsing experience and to continuously improve our services. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to the use of these cookies.