Breaking 19:45 Nasa tests autonomous navigation technology for spacecraft 19:25 U.S. Treasury holdings diverge among major economies and Arab investors 17:47 OpenAI strengthens ChatGPT safety measures for teenage users 17:30 Elon Musk’s fortune nears $900 billion as SpaceX valuation surges 17:10 Morocco to benefit from F-16 engine overhaul program under $470 million international contract 15:47 Cybersecurity: Morocco Ranks 43rd Worldwide in the 2026 Ranking 15:25 Anthropic Enhances Text Identification for Claude with Invisible Watermarking 15:23 Canada: New 50% U.S. Tariffs Threaten $20 Billion in Imports 14:45 U.S. Court Blocks Trump Administration Plan To Move FBI Headquarters 13:45 53% of Americans Say Their Finances Have Worsened Since Trump Returned to the White House 12:47 Melania Trump records historically low approval rating among first ladies 12:42 Syria: Washington Condemns Israeli Strikes and Warns of Further Escalation 12:33 OpenAI defends leadership stability amid executive departures 12:16 Anthropic’s revenue surges as the global artificial intelligence race intensifies 10:32 Trump says contacts with Hamas are advancing as disarmament talks continue 10:00 Trump signals major reduction in US-South Korea drills as North Korea dialogue returns to focus 08:46 US-Iran Crisis: Why Oil Prices Are Climbing Above $90 08:10 Philippines: Manila reassures on military alliance with the United States despite redeployment to the Middle East 07:55 United States: Trump Administration Pauses Major Border Security Project in Texas 07:50 Guterres urges Washington and Tehran to quickly resume negotiations 07:48 US Claims to Have Blocked 64 Ships from Iranian Ports Since July

Hamas Says It Will Release US-Israeli Captive Edan Alexander

Monday 12 May 2025 - 07:30
By: Zahouani Ilham
Hamas Says It Will Release US-Israeli Captive Edan Alexander

Hamas has announced it will release Edan Alexander, a US-Israeli dual citizen held in Gaza, as part of efforts to revive ceasefire negotiations and reintroduce humanitarian aid to the devastated Palestinian enclave. The move marks a significant step in ongoing indirect talks between Hamas and the United States.

According to a statement released on Sunday, the Palestinian group said that Alexander, a 21-year-old Israeli soldier, would be freed in conjunction with initiatives aimed at ending the conflict, reopening border crossings, and facilitating the delivery of critical aid to civilians in Gaza. While no specific date for his release was given, sources anticipate it could occur within the next two days.

The announcement coincides with the upcoming visit of US President Donald Trump to the Middle East, although Israel is not on his itinerary. American envoy Steve Witkoff, who has consistently advocated for Alexander’s release, is expected in Israel on Monday to further discussions. Witkoff confirmed that Hamas agreed to the release in the interest of renewing ceasefire talks.

Alexander was captured during the Hamas-led attack on an Israeli military base on October 7, 2023. In its statement, Hamas also expressed willingness to launch intensive negotiations aimed at establishing a long-term ceasefire and placing Gaza under a technocratic, non-partisan administration. Such a step, they argued, could lay the groundwork for sustained peace, reconstruction, and an end to Israel’s blockade of the Strip.

Mediators from Qatar and Egypt welcomed the announcement, viewing it as a constructive signal for restarting formal negotiations. The Israeli government acknowledged the development, noting the US believes Alexander’s release could pave the way for broader prisoner exchanges. However, Israel maintained that its broader military objectives remain unchanged and that negotiations will continue even amid ongoing conflict.

Al Jazeera’s correspondent in Jordan, Hamdah Salhut, reported that Israeli officials have previously reacted negatively to US-Hamas talks that excluded them, sparking political friction. Meanwhile, Israeli families and activists have voiced frustration, accusing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of prioritizing territorial gains over the safe return of captives.

Talks are currently underway in Doha, with Hamas representatives reporting progress on key points, including humanitarian access and potential prisoner swaps. Since Israel resumed its offensive on March 18, ending a previous truce, no further captives have been released. Israel halted all aid to Gaza on March 2 in a bid to pressure Hamas into negotiations.

The humanitarian situation in Gaza remains dire. According to Gaza’s Health Ministry, at least 2,720 people have died since Israel's renewed assault, bringing the total Palestinian death toll to 52,829. Starvation continues to spread as aid remains blocked, and the Israeli government has signaled its intention to maintain a long-term military presence in parts of the territory.


  • Fajr
  • Sunrise
  • Dhuhr
  • Asr
  • Maghrib
  • Isha

Read more

This website, walaw.press, uses cookies to provide you with a good browsing experience and to continuously improve our services. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to the use of these cookies.