Iran says US has not demanded end to uranium enrichment
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Washington has not asked Tehran to halt uranium enrichment, directly contradicting repeated public statements by senior US officials who insist that Iran must abandon the activity entirely.
In an interview published online Friday by MSNBC’s Morning Joe program, Araghchi stated that neither side had proposed suspending enrichment and that the United States had not demanded “zero enrichment” during ongoing negotiations. He said discussions are currently focused on ensuring that Iran’s nuclear program, including enrichment activities, remains strictly peaceful on a permanent basis.
Araghchi added that he plans to present a draft framework for a potential agreement to US officials within the next few days, signaling what he described as a possible next step in the diplomatic process.
His remarks diverge from the stance articulated by President Donald Trump and other senior US officials, who have repeatedly said Iran should not be allowed to enrich uranium under any circumstances. Washington has long maintained that enrichment capabilities could enable Tehran to move closer to developing nuclear weapons.
The latest comments follow a second round of talks between Iranian and US representatives, mediated by Oman and held in Geneva earlier this week. The two sides previously met in Oman on February 6, marking their first direct engagement since negotiations collapsed during last year’s 12-day Iran-Israel conflict, when US forces struck Iranian nuclear facilities.
Trump warned on Thursday that the United States could launch further military action if Iran fails to reach an agreement within a short timeframe, initially set at 10 days and later extended to 15. The US administration has also sought to broaden the scope of negotiations to include Iran’s ballistic missile program and its backing of armed groups across the region, issues strongly supported by Israel.
Western governments have long accused the Islamic Republic of pursuing nuclear weapons capability. Tehran rejects those claims, asserting that its nuclear activities are intended solely for civilian energy and research purposes and that it has the right to peaceful nuclear technology.
As diplomatic efforts continue, both sides have reinforced their military posture. The United States has deployed significant naval assets to the region, including the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and additional escort ships to the Gulf, followed by orders for the carrier Gerald Ford to head to the Middle East.
Iran, for its part, conducted naval exercises in the Gulf and near the strategic Strait of Hormuz this week, signaling its readiness amid heightened tensions.
-
18:20
-
18:00
-
17:50
-
17:30
-
17:20
-
17:00
-
16:50
-
16:30
-
16:20
-
16:00
-
15:50
-
15:30
-
15:25
-
15:20
-
15:02
-
15:00
-
14:50
-
14:30
-
14:28
-
14:20
-
13:50
-
13:30
-
13:20
-
12:50
-
12:50
-
12:45
-
12:30
-
12:26
-
12:20
-
12:00
-
11:48
-
11:20
-
10:50
-
10:20
-
09:50
-
09:20
-
08:50
-
08:20
-
07:50
-
07:20
-
07:00