Austria charges suspect over alleged Taylor Swift concert terror plot
Austrian prosecutors have filed terrorism charges against a 21 year old man accused of planning an Islamic State inspired attack targeting Taylor Swift’s concerts in Vienna in August 2024. The indictment comes more than 18 months after security services thwarted the alleged plot, prompting the cancellation of three sold out shows on Swift’s record breaking Eras Tour.
The Vienna public prosecutor’s office confirmed the charges against the suspect, identified in Austrian media as Beran A., who has been in custody since his arrest in August 2024. If convicted, he faces a potential prison sentence of up to 20 years.
According to prosecutors, the accused pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group by sharing propaganda materials and videos through various messaging platforms. Investigators allege he obtained online instructions for constructing a fragmentation bomb using triacetone triperoxide, an explosive frequently associated with Islamic State attacks, and produced a small quantity of the substance.
The indictment further states that the suspect made several attempts to illegally purchase weapons abroad with the intention of smuggling them into Austria. The case is set to be heard in Wiener Neustadt, a city near Vienna.
At the time of the arrests, Omar Haijawi Pirchner, head of Austria’s Directorate of State Security and Intelligence, said the main suspect intended to kill as many people as possible, either using knives or the explosive devices he had allegedly assembled.
The foiled plot led to the cancellation of three Taylor Swift concerts scheduled from August 8 to 10, 2024, at Vienna’s Ernst Happel Stadium. Around 200,000 fans had purchased tickets for the performances, with tens of thousands more expected to gather outside the venue.
United States intelligence services played a key role in uncovering the alleged plan. David Cohen, deputy director of the CIA, said at the time that the suspects were aiming to kill a very large number of people, including many Americans, and were well advanced in their preparations. John Kirby, then White House national security spokesperson, confirmed that Washington shared intelligence with Austrian authorities to help disrupt the threat targeting the Vienna concerts.
In a related development, a German court in August 2025 sentenced a teenage accomplice, identified as Mohammad A., for assisting in the preparation of the attack. The Syrian national received an 18 month suspended sentence for preparing a serious act of violence and supporting a terrorist act abroad.
The cancellation marked the first time concerts on Swift’s Eras Tour had been fully called off since the global tour began in March 2023.
-
13:23
-
13:20
-
13:00
-
12:50
-
12:30
-
12:20
-
12:00
-
11:50
-
11:30
-
11:00
-
10:50
-
10:30
-
10:26
-
10:20
-
10:00
-
09:40
-
09:30
-
09:30
-
09:06
-
09:00
-
08:50
-
08:47
-
08:35
-
08:30
-
08:20
-
08:00
-
07:50
-
18:30
-
18:20
-
18:00
-
17:50
-
17:30
-
17:20
-
17:00
-
16:50
-
16:30
-
16:20
-
16:00
-
15:50
-
15:34
-
15:30
-
15:20
-
15:00
-
15:00
-
14:50
-
14:30
-
14:20
-
14:00
-
13:55
-
13:50
-
13:45
-
13:30