Breaking 17:47 OpenAI strengthens ChatGPT safety measures for teenage users 17:30 Elon Musk’s fortune nears $900 billion as SpaceX valuation surges 17:10 Morocco to benefit from F-16 engine overhaul program under $470 million international contract 15:47 Cybersecurity: Morocco Ranks 43rd Worldwide in the 2026 Ranking 15:25 Anthropic Enhances Text Identification for Claude with Invisible Watermarking 15:23 Canada: New 50% U.S. Tariffs Threaten $20 Billion in Imports 14:45 U.S. Court Blocks Trump Administration Plan To Move FBI Headquarters 13:45 53% of Americans Say Their Finances Have Worsened Since Trump Returned to the White House 12:47 Melania Trump records historically low approval rating among first ladies 12:42 Syria: Washington Condemns Israeli Strikes and Warns of Further Escalation 12:33 OpenAI defends leadership stability amid executive departures 12:16 Anthropic’s revenue surges as the global artificial intelligence race intensifies 10:32 Trump says contacts with Hamas are advancing as disarmament talks continue 10:00 Trump signals major reduction in US-South Korea drills as North Korea dialogue returns to focus 08:46 US-Iran Crisis: Why Oil Prices Are Climbing Above $90 08:10 Philippines: Manila reassures on military alliance with the United States despite redeployment to the Middle East 07:55 United States: Trump Administration Pauses Major Border Security Project in Texas 07:50 Guterres urges Washington and Tehran to quickly resume negotiations 07:48 US Claims to Have Blocked 64 Ships from Iranian Ports Since July

Hamas rejects US ceasefire proposal over Gaza war conditions

Friday 30 May 2025 - 08:01
By: Zahouani Ilham
Hamas rejects US ceasefire proposal over Gaza war conditions

A ceasefire proposal brokered by the administration of former US President Donald Trump is under review by Hamas, though the Palestinian group says it fails to address the core issues driving the conflict in Gaza. According to Hamas officials, the current version of the plan would only prolong the humanitarian crisis by continuing violence and famine.

The White House stated that Israel has approved the proposal, and Trump’s Middle East envoy, Steve Witkoff, has presented the terms to Hamas. However, Basem Naim, a member of Hamas’s political bureau, told Reuters that the plan does not meet any of the Palestinian people’s key demands, especially a halt to military operations. Despite these concerns, Naim said Hamas leadership is evaluating the proposal with “full national responsibility,” and a response is expected within days.

Key elements of the proposal reportedly include a 60-day ceasefire, the release of 28 Israeli hostages (both alive and deceased), and the exchange of 1,236 Palestinian prisoners along with the remains of 180 Palestinians. In return, humanitarian aid would be allowed into Gaza upon Hamas’s agreement. The deal is said to be backed by the Trump administration and mediators from Egypt and Qatar.

Yet, Hamas insists the draft lacks any concrete Israeli commitment to end the war, withdraw forces from Gaza, or facilitate unrestricted aid. Senior Hamas figure Sami Abu Zuhri reiterated these objections, saying the group cannot accept a deal that ignores these fundamental conditions.

Israeli media have reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu informed the families of Israeli captives that he was ready to support the proposal. However, analysts like Akiva Eldar suggest this might be a political move designed to shift blame onto Hamas should the plan be rejected.

Efforts to secure a lasting ceasefire have repeatedly failed due to conflicting demands. Israel insists on Hamas’s full disarmament, while Hamas calls for a complete withdrawal of Israeli troops and open humanitarian access.

Earlier in the week, Hamas announced it had reached a general understanding with Witkoff that included a permanent ceasefire, full troop withdrawal, and the creation of a committee to govern Gaza. But Witkoff later dismissed these terms, calling them “completely unacceptable.” A US official also denied Hamas’s version, labeling it “inaccurate” and “disappointing.” Israel described the statement as propaganda and psychological warfare.

Israel resumed its offensive on March 18 after breaking a temporary six-week truce, leading to nearly 4,000 additional deaths and pushing Gaza’s overall death toll beyond 54,000, according to local health authorities.

The Israeli blockade on humanitarian aid has intensified Gaza’s crisis, pushing the population to the edge of famine. Though Israel slightly eased restrictions on May 19, UN Secretary-General António Guterres described the relief as negligible. Meanwhile, attempts to distribute aid through a controversial US- and Israeli-backed group led to chaos among desperate civilians.


  • Fajr
  • Sunrise
  • Dhuhr
  • Asr
  • Maghrib
  • Isha

Read more

This website, walaw.press, uses cookies to provide you with a good browsing experience and to continuously improve our services. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to the use of these cookies.