Breaking 08:02 Ancient complex life depended on oxygen, study of early fossils finds 07:45 Syrian president thanks Trump for “Precious” perfume gift 07:37 Sea level rise has nearly doubled since 1960, study finds 07:30 Eswatini faces criticism over acceptance of U.S. deportees 07:16 Webb telescope suggests Neptune moon Nereid formed within planet’s system 07:02 Nvidia concedes Chinese AI chip market as Huawei gains dominance 16:30 Amazon.com wins appeal in tariff evasion case 16:20 Three supertankers move six million barrels through Hormuz 16:15 James Murdoch expands media footprint with Vox Media acquisitions 16:01 U.S and Israel planned postwar iran leadership shift with ahmadinejad 15:30 Southwest Airlines plans major expansion of India innovation hub to 1,000 employees 14:30 Marco Rubio calls for a “New Path” for Cuba amid rising tensions with Havana 14:15 Elon Musk could become the first trillionaire following SpaceX stock market debut 14:00 Intuit announces major workforce reduction to strengthen AI strategy 13:06 GitHub internal repositories breached through malicious VS Code extension 12:00 Lowe’s maintains annual forecast despite weak U.S. housing demand 11:50 Alibaba launches powerful AI chip to challenge Nvidia dominance in China 11:45 AI financing drives record surge in U.S. convertible bond issuance 09:56 Qatar says Strait of Hormuz remains closed to normal shipping traffic 09:30 Bulgaria requests US visa-free travel for its citizens, says prime minister 09:15 Hyundai recalls over 54,000 vehicles in the US due to fire risk 09:00 Google unveils new connected glasses featuring AI assistant Gemini

Renewed violence challenges fragile ceasefire in Tripoli

Thursday 15 May 2025 - 09:03
By: Zahouani Ilham
Renewed violence challenges fragile ceasefire in Tripoli

Fresh clashes erupted in Tripoli on Wednesday between two major armed factions, despite a declared ceasefire just a day earlier, according to a security source. The fighting involved the Radaa Force and the 444 Brigade, with confrontations taking place in key areas such as the port.

Although hostilities diminished by late Wednesday, some parts of the city remained tense. Local TV outlets and residents reported that while certain bakeries resumed operations, schools stayed closed. The Libyan Red Crescent recovered at least one body from a main road, but no official death toll was released.

On Monday night, intense gunfire and explosions had already shaken several neighborhoods in Tripoli, killing at least six people. Officials described the combat as "urban warfare," involving a range of weaponry from light arms to heavy artillery in some areas.

Libya continues to face political and military divisions following the 2011 NATO-backed uprising that ousted long-time leader Moamer Kadhafi. The country remains split between a UN-recognized government in Tripoli, led by Prime Minister Abdulhamid Dbeibah, and a rival administration in the east supported by the Haftar family.

The 444 Brigade operates mainly in southern Tripoli and aligns with Dbeibah, while the Radaa Force controls parts of the east and manages critical state infrastructure. On Wednesday, Radaa reportedly brought in reinforcements to challenge the 444 Brigade in southern and western parts of the capital.

Protests broke out in the Souq el-Joumaa area—a stronghold of Radaa—with over 500 demonstrators denouncing Dbeibah’s government and opposing the potential dissolution of the 444 Brigade. Meanwhile, reports surfaced that Abdelghani al-Kikli, leader of the Stability and Support Apparatus, was killed in a 444 Brigade-controlled facility.

Sources indicated that armed groups from nearby Zawiya were moving into Tripoli to support Radaa, which is known for detaining smugglers and Islamic State affiliates. Expert Jalel Harchaoui warned the current conflict might represent one of the most serious threats to Tripoli in years, as various factions attempt to gain influence in the capital’s center. He called the situation a “territorial reshuffle.”

Turkey, a backer of the Tripoli government, urged all parties to commit to a comprehensive and lasting ceasefire and to resolve disputes through dialogue. On Tuesday, the Dbeibah-led administration claimed the situation was under control and issued executive orders dissolving certain armed group-run institutions—excluding the 444 Brigade.

However, renewed fighting signaled a potentially deeper and more destructive conflict. Despite ceasefire announcements, gunfire continued in the city’s western neighborhoods.

International responses followed swiftly. Embassies from Germany, France, the US, Britain, and Italy jointly called for civilian protection. The United Nations also expressed alarm over the violence in densely populated areas, demanding an immediate and unconditional ceasefire and the creation of safe corridors for trapped civilians.


  • Fajr
  • Sunrise
  • Dhuhr
  • Asr
  • Maghrib
  • Isha

Read more

This website, walaw.press, uses cookies to provide you with a good browsing experience and to continuously improve our services. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to the use of these cookies.