- 17:30Women's World Cup 2031 and 2035: United States and United Kingdom Set to Host
- 17:00International Bar Association conference opens in Marrakech to discuss labor law and diversity
- 17:00Strategic Morocco-U.S. partnership amid new tariffs
- 16:30Morocco participates in international forum on the future of the Mediterranean
- 16:20IMF approves $4.5 billion flexible credit line for Morocco
- 16:00Carlo Ancelotti faces prison sentence for tax fraud in Spain
- 15:50U.S. commitment to NATO remains strong, says Rubio
- 15:30The impact of the US-China trade war on the UK-US special relationship
- 15:20Israeli minister's mosque storming ignites global outrage
Follow us on Facebook
Trudeau Government Orders TikTok to Close Canadian Offices, but Access Remains Unrestricted for Users
The Canadian federal government has decided to close TikTok’s offices in Toronto and Vancouver, citing concerns about national security. Despite this action, Canadians will still be able to use the app.
Innovation Minister François-Philippe Champagne explained that the decision was based on evidence uncovered during a national security review and advice from Canada's intelligence agencies. He emphasized that TikTok’s operations in Canada posed a potential threat to national security, though he did not elaborate on the specifics of the concerns.
"We concluded that the activities conducted by TikTok in Canada would harm our national security," Champagne told CBC News, reassuring the public that the government is taking necessary measures to protect the country.
While the government has ordered TikTok’s offices to close, it clarified that Canadians will not be banned from using the platform. The choice to engage with TikTok remains personal, and users can still create content. However, Champagne cautioned Canadians to approach the app with caution. He referenced concerns over the potential for TikTok’s data to be accessed by the Chinese government.
"Parents and anyone considering using the app should be aware of the risks," Champagne advised.
This move is in line with the Investment Canada Act, which allows the review of foreign investments that may jeopardize national security. In response, TikTok expressed its intention to challenge the order legally. A company spokesperson argued that closing the Canadian offices would result in job losses and harm local communities, asserting that the company would contest the decision in court.
The decision follows similar concerns raised in the U.S., where lawmakers have expressed worry that TikTok’s parent company, ByteDance, could be compelled by Chinese national security laws to provide user data to the Chinese government. ByteDance has faced allegations of aiding China’s policies against Uyghur Muslims and suppressing protests in Hong Kong.
The Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) has repeatedly warned Canadians, particularly teenagers, against using TikTok. David Vigneault, former director of CSIS, stated that the app’s design makes it clear that user data is accessible to the Chinese government, and he recommended avoiding the app.
In early 2023, Canada had already prohibited TikTok from being used on government devices. Later that year, a national security review was launched, culminating in Wednesday’s announcement, following rigorous scrutiny by Canadian intelligence agencies.
TikTok has consistently denied accusations, asserting that its data servers are located outside of China and are not subject to Chinese government control, adhering to Canadian privacy laws.
Comments (0)