Breaking 12:20 Amazon outage linked to AI coding tool sparks debate over blame and safeguards 12:00 Finland’s president says Russia unlikely to agree to peace deal soon 10:50 Euro slips to four-week low as hawkish Fed and tensions unsettle markets 09:50 Norway rejects Trump peace board while hosting Gaza aid talks 09:20 Netanyahu warns Iran as US-Israel military buildup accelerates 07:50 US energy chief threatens IEA withdrawal over climate focus 07:20 European gas prices jump as us-iran standoff threatens lng chokepoint 23:50 US removes safeguards from proposed Saudi nuclear deal, raising proliferation concerns 22:30 Uzbekistan pledges meaningful contribution to Gaza reconstruction efforts 22:00 Turkish journalist from Deutsche Welle detained over “false news” and “insulting the president” 21:30 Indonesia pledges 8,000 troops to Gaza peacekeeping mission 18:00 Pakistan and US sign pact to redevelop New York's Roosevelt Hotel 17:45 US trade deficit hits $1.24 trillion in 2025 despite tariffs 16:20 German chancellor Merz deepens China ties and warns US on tariffs 16:00 King Frederik X visits Greenland amid renewed geopolitical attention 15:50 US pushes to bar Ukraine from NATO summit in Ankara 15:20 Iranian rial plunges as capital flight hits record levels 14:50 Russian Urals crude discount widens to lowest since 2023 14:20 European stocks slip as oil surges on US Iran tensions 13:50 Russian supreme court upholds $1.2 quintillion fine against Google 13:30 Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested amid renewed scrutiny over Epstein-linked allegations 13:20 Ukrainian drones spark fire at Russian oil depot after Geneva talks stall

Iran rejects claims of seeking talks with the US

Tuesday 08 July 2025 - 14:20
By: Dakir Madiha
Iran rejects claims of seeking talks with the US

Iran has refuted claims that it has sought negotiations with the United States, following remarks by former U.S. President Donald Trump suggesting otherwise. The denial comes amid heightened regional tensions after a series of unprecedented military strikes between Iran and Israel last month.

Iran denies US negotiation request

Speaking to the Tasnim news agency on Tuesday, Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqaei stated, "No request for a meeting has been made on our side to the American side." His comments contradicted Trump’s assertion that Iran was eager to engage in talks.

On Monday, Trump told reporters at the White House, alongside Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, "We have scheduled Iran talks. They want to talk... They’re very different now than they were two weeks ago." However, no specifics regarding the timing or location of these purported discussions were disclosed.

The remarks come in the wake of a devastating conflict between Iran and Israel. On June 13, Israel launched an extensive bombing campaign targeting Iranian military and nuclear installations, including residential areas. The strikes claimed the lives of senior Iranian military officials and nuclear scientists. Days later, on June 22, the United States joined Israel in coordinated attacks on key Iranian nuclear sites at Fordow, Isfahan, and Natanz.

Domestic backlash against Iranian leadership

The fallout from last month’s escalation has fueled fierce debate within Iran. President Masoud Pezeshkian has drawn criticism for suggesting renewed talks with the United States could be a step forward. During an interview with U.S. commentator Tucker Carlson, Pezeshkian emphasized that Iran was open to dialogue if trust between the two nations could be rebuilt.

His remarks were met with sharp criticism from hardline factions in Iran. The conservative Kayhan newspaper accused Pezeshkian of forgetting "that these same Americans, together with the Zionists, used the negotiations to buy time and prepare for the attack." Similarly, the Javan daily criticized the president’s tone as "too soft," arguing that such comments failed to reflect public distrust of the U.S.

Reformist voices, however, offered a contrasting perspective. The Ham Mihan newspaper praised Pezeshkian’s willingness to engage with international media, calling it a "positive approach." The editorial noted that Iranian officials had been absent from the global media landscape for too long, suggesting that the interview was a step toward shaping international opinion.

Aftermath of the conflict

The June conflict resulted in significant casualties for both sides. Iranian authorities reported at least 1,060 fatalities from Israeli strikes, while Israeli officials confirmed 28 deaths from retaliatory Iranian drone and missile attacks. A ceasefire has been in effect since June 24, but tensions remain high as both sides continue to trade accusations.

The stalled nuclear negotiations, initially scheduled for mid-June, remain uncertain. While some factions in Iran advocate for engagement, hardliners insist that trust in the U.S. is irreparable following last month’s attacks, complicating prospects for diplomacy.


  • Fajr
  • Sunrise
  • Dhuhr
  • Asr
  • Maghrib
  • Isha

Read more

This website, walaw.press, uses cookies to provide you with a good browsing experience and to continuously improve our services. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to the use of these cookies.