Breaking 18:00 U.S. economic growth slows below expectations in late 2025 17:50 US boosts carrier presence near Iran as Trump sets nuclear deadline 17:20 Supreme Court curbs trump's emergency tariff powers in landmark ruling 15:50 Florida legislature approves renaming Palm Beach airport after President Trump 15:30 X appeals €120 million Eu Fine over digital services act violations 15:20 Iran says US has not demanded end to uranium enrichment 15:00 Prince Andrew’s arrest triggers unprecedented crisis for the British Monarchy 14:50 Investors flock to european stocks as ‘hedge america’ trade builds 14:30 Türkiye calls for Genuine Us-Iran negotiations to avoid war 14:20 FIFA pledge for Gaza stadium sparks debate over postwar priorities 13:50 kim leverages nuclear shield as trump weighs new iran strikes 12:45 Euro weakens to one-month low as oil spike and ECB doubts hit currency 12:20 Amazon outage linked to AI coding tool sparks debate over blame and safeguards 12:00 Finland’s president says Russia unlikely to agree to peace deal soon 10:50 Euro slips to four-week low as hawkish Fed and tensions unsettle markets 09:50 Norway rejects Trump peace board while hosting Gaza aid talks 09:20 Netanyahu warns Iran as US-Israel military buildup accelerates 07:50 US energy chief threatens IEA withdrawal over climate focus 07:20 European gas prices jump as us-iran standoff threatens lng chokepoint 23:50 US removes safeguards from proposed Saudi nuclear deal, raising proliferation concerns 22:30 Uzbekistan pledges meaningful contribution to Gaza reconstruction efforts 22:00 Turkish journalist from Deutsche Welle detained over “false news” and “insulting the president” 21:30 Indonesia pledges 8,000 troops to Gaza peacekeeping mission

Hamas rejects US ceasefire proposal over Gaza war conditions

Friday 30 May 2025 - 08:01
By: Zahouani Ilham
Hamas rejects US ceasefire proposal over Gaza war conditions

A ceasefire proposal brokered by the administration of former US President Donald Trump is under review by Hamas, though the Palestinian group says it fails to address the core issues driving the conflict in Gaza. According to Hamas officials, the current version of the plan would only prolong the humanitarian crisis by continuing violence and famine.

The White House stated that Israel has approved the proposal, and Trump’s Middle East envoy, Steve Witkoff, has presented the terms to Hamas. However, Basem Naim, a member of Hamas’s political bureau, told Reuters that the plan does not meet any of the Palestinian people’s key demands, especially a halt to military operations. Despite these concerns, Naim said Hamas leadership is evaluating the proposal with “full national responsibility,” and a response is expected within days.

Key elements of the proposal reportedly include a 60-day ceasefire, the release of 28 Israeli hostages (both alive and deceased), and the exchange of 1,236 Palestinian prisoners along with the remains of 180 Palestinians. In return, humanitarian aid would be allowed into Gaza upon Hamas’s agreement. The deal is said to be backed by the Trump administration and mediators from Egypt and Qatar.

Yet, Hamas insists the draft lacks any concrete Israeli commitment to end the war, withdraw forces from Gaza, or facilitate unrestricted aid. Senior Hamas figure Sami Abu Zuhri reiterated these objections, saying the group cannot accept a deal that ignores these fundamental conditions.

Israeli media have reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu informed the families of Israeli captives that he was ready to support the proposal. However, analysts like Akiva Eldar suggest this might be a political move designed to shift blame onto Hamas should the plan be rejected.

Efforts to secure a lasting ceasefire have repeatedly failed due to conflicting demands. Israel insists on Hamas’s full disarmament, while Hamas calls for a complete withdrawal of Israeli troops and open humanitarian access.

Earlier in the week, Hamas announced it had reached a general understanding with Witkoff that included a permanent ceasefire, full troop withdrawal, and the creation of a committee to govern Gaza. But Witkoff later dismissed these terms, calling them “completely unacceptable.” A US official also denied Hamas’s version, labeling it “inaccurate” and “disappointing.” Israel described the statement as propaganda and psychological warfare.

Israel resumed its offensive on March 18 after breaking a temporary six-week truce, leading to nearly 4,000 additional deaths and pushing Gaza’s overall death toll beyond 54,000, according to local health authorities.

The Israeli blockade on humanitarian aid has intensified Gaza’s crisis, pushing the population to the edge of famine. Though Israel slightly eased restrictions on May 19, UN Secretary-General António Guterres described the relief as negligible. Meanwhile, attempts to distribute aid through a controversial US- and Israeli-backed group led to chaos among desperate civilians.


  • Fajr
  • Sunrise
  • Dhuhr
  • Asr
  • Maghrib
  • Isha

Read more

This website, walaw.press, uses cookies to provide you with a good browsing experience and to continuously improve our services. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to the use of these cookies.